Mutton Rogan Josh recipe – Mutton Rogan Josh is a world famous Kashmiri classic, rogan josh, is a hearty lamb stew that is packed with aroma of all spices and flavours.
Rogan Josh – an Indian lamb curry with a heady combination of intense spices in a creamy tomato curry sauce. The lamb is fall apart tender and packs a serious flavour punch!
While this recipe calls for a lengthy list of spices, you won’t need to take a trip to an Indian store to get them.
I have shared a simple mutton rogan Josh gravy with simple steps below.
In a small bowl add hing/ asfeotedia and Kashmiri red chilli powder make a watery paste.
In a pressure cooker heat ghee add black cardamom . Season the lamb with salt and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the lamb is browned, about 12 minutes; using a slotted spoon.
Add mutton pieces roast in a ghee on a medium flame. Now add red chilli paste to it. Stir well.
Mutton Rogan Josh recipe
In a bowl add lukewarm milk and saffron. Let the saffron dissolves.
In a blender add cardamom, fennel seeds, cinamon sticks, coriander seeds blend to a powder add the spices to the gravy.
Roast the mutton with all the spices add saffron milk to the gravy pour little water pressure cook for 4_5 whistles or until the mutton gets tender.
Serve Rogan Josh with plain steam rice.
- 1/2 kg mutton
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp asfeotedia/ hing
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 3_4 black cardamom
- Salt as needed
- 7_8 strands saffron
- 2 tbsp milk
For ground masala powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cardamom
- 2 small cinamon sticks
You may also like
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker add wash and clean mutton, black cardamom. Roast the mutton in a ghee.
- In a small bowl add red chilli powder, hing make a watery paste.
- Add saffron and lukewarm milk in a bowl. Let the saffron dissolves.
- In a blender add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, fennel seeds make a powder.
- Add red chilli paste to the mutton mix well. stir well to combine, and then reduce the heat, and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the spice powder to the mutton stir well.
- Add saffron milk to the gravy. pour little water pressure cook the mutton for atleast 4_ 5 whistles.
- As the pressure drops check the mutton by pressing them in a fork or knife. check the consistency of the gravy until the volume of liquid has reduced and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve Rogan Josh with a steam Rice.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time:10-15 Mins
Total Time:20 Mins
Course: Side dish