If you are a fan of mutton especially of bone marrow then give a try to the nihari masala gravy.The flavourful ingredients are the key to the amazing dish. Nalli nihari is made with the lamb leg piece cooked with onions and flavors of spices. Yet, I tried the recipe with the mutton it taste delicious.
I have shared a delicious mutton nihari recipe in step by step method with a detailed pictures below.
Roast all the spices in a tawa or pan. Allow it to cool and then grind coarsely in a blender.
In a pressure cooker heat ghee add sliced onions saute till it changes transparent. Add ginger garlic paste saute till the raw aroma goes away.
Add mutton saute for few minutes. Till the muttonsame well browned.Add coriander powder and turmeric powder.
Add the ground masala powder. Saute on a high flame till all the spices are combine together with the mutton.
In a small bowl add wheat flour and pour little water to make a batter.
Add the batter to the gravy. Pressure cook for 5_6 whistles until the mutton are tender.
As pressure released open the lid and check the consitencycoof the gravy. The gravy must be slightly thickened.
Garnish with mint leaves. Serve mutton nihari gravy with steam rice.
- 1/2 kg mutton
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 onions
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp wheat flour
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 10 cloves
FOR GROUND MASALA
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom
- 8_10 pepper corns
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp shahi jeera
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 whole red chilli
- Wash and cleac the mutton.
- In a pan add cumin seeds,pepper corns,fenugreek seeds, whole red chilli, clovec,cinnamon stick and cardamom stick roast for 5 minutes then grind them coarsely in a blender.
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee add sliced onions saute till it changes transparent add ginger garlic paste saute till the raw aroma goes away.
- Add mutton saute for few minutes.
- Add coriander powder and turmeric powder. Stir well.
- Add the ground masala powder stir continously till the mutton roast nicely with the spices.
- Add required water to the mutton.
- In a small bowl add wheat flour pour little water to make a batter. Add the batter to the gravy, add lemon juice cover the lid and pressure cook for 5_6 whistles or cook until the mutton changes tender.
As pressure drops open the lid. Check the consitency of the gravy. The gravy must be like a stew.
- Garnish with the mint leaves. Serve hot with steam rice.
- I have use medium spice for the gravy. You can increase the amount of red chillies.
- Instead of wheat flour you can also add bengal gram flour to the gravy for a thick consistency of the gravy.