Green Mutton Gravy is a traditional mutton delicacy from the kitchen of Mughals, famous for its rich taste in a generous mutton pieces that are soft, juicy & succulent cooked in green gravy.
I have shared a recipe of Hariyali Ghost in a step by step method with a detailed pictures below.
In a pressure cooker add ginger garlic paste, salt and onion paste.
Add mutton pieces to it. Pour required water to cook the mutton. Cover the lid pressure cook for 4_5 whistles.
In a blender add green chillies, dry Fenugreek leaves, garlic cloves, onion, coriander leaves , mint leaves and Shahi jeera blend coarsely.
Now add yogurt ,blend to a fine puree.
Transfer the puree in a bowl add cooked mutton pieces mix well.
In a grill pan heat ghee or oil place the mutton pieces roast till the mutton changes to crisp.
Pour the remaining puree in a wok or kadai cook till the oil leaves side of the pan.
Serve the gravy in a bowl add a spoon of heavy cream for a thick consistency in a gravy, add crisp mutton pieces on top. Serve hot with roti or phulka.
- 1/2 kg mutton
- 2 medium size onion paste
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee or oil
For Green Mutton Puree
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 tbsp dry fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp Shahi jeera
- 3_4 green chillies
- 1 onion
- 1 cup Yogurt
- Wash and clean the mutton pieces.
- In a pressure cooker add ginger garlic paste, salt and onion paste add mutton pieces, pour the little water to cook the mutton. Cover the lid and pressure cook for 4_5 whistles.
- In a blender add onions, green chillies, Shahi jeera, coriander leaves, mint leaves, fenugreek leaves and garlic cloves blend coarsely.
- Now add a cup of yogurt blend to a puree. Transfer the puree in a mixing bowl add cooked mutton pieces mix well.
- In a grill pan heat oil or ghee add the mutton pieces roast well till the mutton changes to crisp.
- In another pan or kadai pour the puree cook on a medium flame till the gravy leaves side of the pan.
- Serve the gravy in a bowl add grilled mutton pieces garnish with the heavy cream. Serve hot with roti or phulka.
- I have lessen the spices of the gravy. If you like to have more spice add 1 or 2 extra green chillies.
- Atlast I have added a spoon of cream for thick consistency of a gravy. You can completely avoid the cream for a natural green color in a gravy.