An Indian meal with out this delicious tadkewali dal is incomplete. Moong dal or lentils tempered with onion, curry leaves, redchillies sautéed in plenty of ghee. Just the aroma of the tadka builds your appetite,so whether you are having with rice, parathas or idyappam (rice noodles).
Add chopped tomatoes and pour water to pressure cook.
Moong dal (split green gram dal) 3/4 cup
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Garlic cloves 3_4
Tamarind pulp 1tsp
FOR TADKA :
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Cumin powder 1/2tsp
Curry leaves 10_12
Small onion sliced 1
Whole red chilli 1/2
Oil 1 tbsp
Ghee 1 tbsp
- Rinse the lentils in water for a couple of times.
- Then add the lentils in a pressure cooker. Add garlic cloves, green chillies, sliced onions, Cumin powder, chopped tomatoes and Turmeric powder.
- Add 1.5cups of water pressure cook the lentils on a medium flame with 2_3 whistles.
- As a pressure drops remove the lid. Once the dal is cooked,add salt and tamarind pulp then mash the dal lightly with a wired whisk or with a spoon keep aside.
- Making dal fry recipe:
- In another pan heat oil or Ghee or unsalted butter add mustard seeds and let them splitter.
- When you hear the solution spluttering sound of the mustard seed add Cumin and curry leaves, whole red chilli fry them.
- Add the onions fry them till they become transparent or light brown.
- Now add the mash dal stir well.
- Keep the dal medium consistency if you prefer. Making it thin will spoil the taste.
- You can Garnish the dal fry with some coriander leaves while serving.
- Serve dal fry with steamed rice, parathas. Dal fry also goes well with idyapam(rice noodles).