Chayote /chow chow are eaten as raw salads and salsas, but are more often cooked by sautéing or baking or stuffed or boiling, mashed, fried or pickled. Apart from their mild sweet taste Chayote is a good source of nutrients. And a good combination as chow chow curry with rice and chappati.
Chow chow is one vegetable that I started eating more after marriage. This curry is adapted from a cookbook. Just altered to make it easy. I have updated the recipe. The older version had a roast and powder portion, but I make it this way these days and like it. Goes well with sambar rice, rasam, podi etc. Do check it out and give it a try.
Chow chow is a simple and delicious taste. Below is the step by step method to prepare an easy chow chow recipe.
Chayote/chow chow is a good source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. It has many health benefits too.
In a sauce pan heat oil roast Bengal gram dal /lentils, fenugreek seeds and whole red chilli saute till the colour changes to light golden brown. In a blender add Bengal gram, whole red chilli, and garlic flakes. Grind to a fine powder.
- Onion 1
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds 1tsp
- Chayote/chow chow_ 2
- Salt as needed
- Whole red chilli 1
- Bengal gram dal /lentils 2 tbsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Garlic flakes 4_5
- Turmeric powder 1 /4tsp
- Thick yogurt 1tbsp
- Peel the skin of chow chow. Wash and chopped Chayote keep aside.
- In a pan heat a drop of oil add Bengal gram dal /lentils, whole red chilli and fenugreek seeds saute till light golden brown allow it to cool.
- Grind to a fine powder. Instead of Bengal gram dal you can use gram flour for an easy process.
- In a kadai /skillet heat oil add curry leaves once it crackle add chopped onions saute till the colour changes to light golden brown.
- Add chopped chayote/ chow chow saute for few minutes.
- Add the gram powder mixture,salt, Cumin powder, Turmeric powder stir well.
- Add thick yogurt mix well.
- Pour some water, cover the lid and cook until chow chow becomes soft and tender.
- Cook until the excess water absorb from the vegetables.
- Chow chow curry is ready to serve with steam rice or roti.
- Serve with fresh coriander leaves.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time:15-20 Mins
Total Time: 30 Mins
Course: Side dish
Cuisine:- South Indian