Ennai Vendakai Kulambu also known as Bhendi Masala is a spicy and a tangy recipe. First the bhendi are sautee in oil and then added to the gravy to enhance the taste. This Ennai Vendakai Kuzhambu is an excellent side dish for Biryani.
Some easy, and important tips and variations while preparing Vendai kulambu recipe. firstly, I would recommend by using tender okra make sure to sautee them before cooking it with masala. secondly, this recipe can be prepared in 2 variations, ie dry and gravy base. I have shared the gravy version, but if you like the dry version, reduce the onion and tomato accordingly. lastly, the ennai Vendakai recipe is typically prepared in sesame oil which infuses nice aroma and flavour to the curry. having said that, you can use other oil like olive or vegetable oil for this recipe.
- 200g Lady’s Finger
- 1 Onion
- 1-2 Tamarind Paste
- 1-2 Green Chilies
- FOR MASALA PASTE
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 8-10 Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Peanuts
- 1/2 tsp Red chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Soaked Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp Black pepper powder
- firstly, heat oil add few curry leaves.
- also add onion and saute until it turns golden brown.
- further add prepared masala paste and suate for 5 minutes.
- now add tamarind paste and salt as per required.
- mix well adjusting consistency as required.
- give a good mix.
- In a pan add 1 tsp oil add bhendi saute until it changes to soft .
- add bhendi to the masala give a good mix.
- cover and cook for 10-15 minutes on low to medium flame or till bhendi/okra cooks completely and oil floats on top.
- Finally add coriander leaves for garnishing.Serve as a side dish for biryani.