Rasmalai is a dessert originated from Bengal in India. Rasmalai is a soft balls made from cottage cheese soaked in a creamy milk. Garnish with saffron and nuts. It is described as cheese cake with out crust.
I have shared a delicious rasmalai in a step by step method with a detailed pictures below.
In a sauce pan boil milk. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Now add lemon juice, you can see the curdle in a milk. Turn off the flame add ice cold water and strain in a muslin cloth and hang the cottage cheese for an hour till the excess water drain out.
Knead the cottage cheese for atleast 10 minutes. Till no lumps appear in a paneer. It took 15 minutes for me to form a soft dough.
Make an equal balls.
In a pan add sugar and water to boil. Make a sugar syrup, drop the paneer balls in it. Cook for 5_7 minutes.
Place the paneer balls into the cold water. Let it rest for 3 minutes.
Boil milk on a low flame add cardamom and saffron. Boil milk till it reduced to one third.
Soak the paneer balls in a full cream milk. Garnish with nuts and saffron. Serve chilled.
Garnish with saffron and nuts. Serve chilled.
- 1 litre milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup cold water
For sugar syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- For rabri/rabdi
- 1 litre milk
- 2 cardamoms
- 10_15 strands saffron
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 chopped almonds
- 5 chopped pistachio
For rabri/ rabdi recipe
- In a saucepan add milk.Add cardamom and saffron .Letit boil on a low flame.
- once a layer of cream is formed over the milk, stick it to sides of the pan.
- Repeat the process for atleast 5 times or till milk reduces to one-third.
- Now add sugar and saffron.
- give a good mix and get to boil.
- Also scrape off the collected cream from sides. Stir well.
- Allow it to cool and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
For Sugar Syrup Recipe
- In a sauce pan add sugar and water to boil.
For Cottage Cheese/ Paneer Recipe
- Firstly boil milk.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice. You can see the milk curdled. Turn off the flame.
- Now add ice cold water let it rest for 3 minutes.
- Drain the paneer in a muslin cloth hang it for an hour. Squeeze extra water to drain out.
- Knead the paneer for 10 _15 minutes till no lumps appears.
- Divide the dough into equally portions. Press the balls in the centre.
- Add the paneer to the sugar syrup. Cover and cook for 5_7 minutes.
- Place the paneer balls to the ice cold water. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the paneer balls and soak in a rabri. Garnish with chopped nuts and saffron. Serve chilled.