How to make Kachi Dum Biriyani – Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani is popular in Indian cuisine. First I ate this delicious Hyderabadi mutton biriyani at my aunt’s place. I never tried it as the raw mutton marinated for long hours and cook with the rice. I have shared my mother in law recipe of Dum Biryani with step by step method with a detailed pictures below.
Making a very good biryani is very simple and this recipe is perfect for home preparation .This is a easiest biryani since it has no need of sauteing, spices or meat. Just marinate the meat with the spices and other ingredients. Layered partially cooked basmati rice over it. Cook on a low dum process.
Wash and the clean mutton drain excess water. In a wide pan or vessel add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, ground masala powder, mutton and yogurt.
In a wok heat oil add sliced onions fry till golden brown.
Add the fried onions and left over oil in a wok to the mutton. Now add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves. Marinate the mutton for atleast 2 _3 hours.
Soak long grain rice for atleast 30 minutes.
In a vessel boil water add shahi jeera/ cumin seeds, green chillies, cardamom, cinnamon sticks and salt.
Soak saffron in a warm milk. Keep aside.
Drain water from the rice.Add the rice to the boiling water add coriander leaves and mint leaves.
Now squeezed half lemon, once the rice is half done drain the rice in a colander.
Now add the rice to the marinated mutton add fried onions and coriander leaves.
Now add the rice to the marinated mutton add saffron on top.
Cover the lid. Cook the biriyani on medium flame for 15 minutes. Then on a low flame for about 20 minutes. Total steam time takes approximately 35_45 minutes.
Serve hot with raita.
recipe card for kachi Dum Biryani recipe :
- 750 gm long grain rice/ basmati rice
- 1 Kg mutton
- 3 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt as needed
- 4 _5 tbsp oil
- 1/2 litre yougurt ( 2 1/2 cup approximate)
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves and mint leaves
For ground masala powder
- 2 tsp shahi jeera /cumin seeds
- 5_6 cardamom
- 4_5 cinnamon sticks
- 8_9 cloves
- Wash and clean the mutton drain the excess water.
- In a blender add shahi jeera, cardamom, cinnamon sticks and cloves blend to a fine powder.
- In a large pot or vessel add ginger garlic paste, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ground masala powder, thick yogurt, and mutton mix well.
- In a kadai heat oil add sliced onion fry till golden brown.
- Add the fried onions and half of the oil to the mutton, add coriander leaves and mint leaves Let the mutton marinate for atleast 2_3 hours.
- Measure rice. Wash and clean the rice by washing twice or thrice.
- Soak the rice in a wide vessel for atleast 30_45 minutes.
- In a vessel boil water add shahi jeera, cardamom cinnamon, green chillies and salt as the water begins to boil, add the rice.
- Squeezed lemon to the boiling water. Once the rice is half done strain the rice. place a colander on top of the empty vessel. Will keep the water for later use.
- Add the rice to the marinated mutton add the fried onions, chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Add saffron milk on top add the oil on top.
- Cover the lid and place the hot water vessel on top. cook the mutton biryani on medium flame for first 15 minutes then on low flame for another 20_ 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with onion raita.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 35-45 mins
Total Time: 1- 1 1/2 hours
For more biryani recipes, you may visit,