Paneer butter masala is a traditional Punjabi recipe in which soft pieces of Paneer are cooked in rich creamy butter &onion and tomato gravy. Paneer Butter Masala goes by various names like Butter Paneer, Paneer Makhani etc. the dish is characterised by rich and aromatic gravy made by using tomato puree, onion paste, cashew paste, and some essential Indian spices.
Paneer is a type of fresh cheese common in Indian subcontinent, and Paneer butter masala is one of the most popular Paneer recipes in Indian cuisine. Paneer Butter Masala is one of the most ordered dishes in Indian restaurants.
I have shared my recipes with the detailed photos and step by step recipe.
In a skillet or kadai heat oil add sliced onions saute till it changes transparent .Add ginger garlic paste saute till the raw aroma goes away.
Add chopped tomatoes and cashews saute for 5 minutes .Allow to cool.
Transfer the onion mixture to the grinder.Blend it to a smooth paste.
In a kadai melt butter add onion paste saute for few minutes .
Add red chilli powder,cumin powder and salt.
Add a tsp of sugar .
Add a little water to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
In a separate pan heat oil or butter add the cubes of paneer flip on both the sides till the paneer changes slightly brown.Add to the gravy .finally add cream for the rich creamy taste.Turn off the flame.
- Paneer 50 GM’s
- Onion 1
- Tomatoes 2
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Butter 2 tbsp
- Cream 2 tbsp
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek leaves( optional)
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- In a iron skillet or a kadai heat oil add sliced onion saute till it changes transparent add ginger garlic paste saute till the raw aroma goes away.
- Add chopped tomatoes,add cashew or almond saute for 5 minutes.Allow to cool.
- In a blender add the onion mixture Blend to a smooth paste.
- In a kadai melt butter add onion mixture saute for few minutes.Add red chilli powder,cumin powder and salt .
- Add sugar and water to adjust the consistency of the gravy.cook the gravy for few minutes till the oil leaves side of the pan.
- In another pan add butter.cut the paneer in the shape of cube or rectangle add those paneer to the pan flip them both the sides till the paneer changes to slightly brown.
- Add the paneer to the gravy.Add cream for the rich creamy taste.garnish with crushed fenugreek leaves or coriander leaves.
- Butter paneer goes well with the Indian bread or ghee rice.