Keerai masiyal is nutritious healthy recipe of south India. Spinach and lentils are cooked separately temper with aromatic spices gives a great combination with rice and Ghee.
I have shared my recipes in step by step method to prepare an easy and quick spinach dal.
Wash and drain palak / spinach in a plenty of water. Soak Moong dal for 20 minutes.
In a pressure cooker add chopped spinach and dal/ lentils. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
In a deep bottom pan heat oil add mustard seeds and Urad dal.
In a blender add garlic cloves, coconut, whole red chillies grind to a ground paste. Add them in a kadai.
Once the pressure drops mix dal and spinach together pour them in a kadai add salt.
Take a tbsp of rice flour gently mix with the water. Keep aside.
Add the dissolved rice flour paste to the curry.
Keerai masiyal goes well with plain steam rice with ghee.
- Spinach 2 cups
- Moong dal 1/2 cup
- Salt as needed
- Rice flour 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
FOR TEMPER :
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tbsp
FOR GROUND PASTE
- Garlic cloves 9-10
- Whole red chilli 3
- INSTRUCTIONS :
- Wash the spinach In a plenty of water, drain and keep aside.
- Soak Moong dal or lentils for 20 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker add chopped spinach, Turmeric powder and Moong dal add little water to it. Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- In a blender add garlic cloves, whole red chilli and coconut grind to a ground paste. Keep aside.
- In a wide utensil heat oil add mustard seeds, Urad dal when it begin to splutter add the above ground paste stir well. Add Moong dal and spinach to it. Cook for 5 minutes till the raw aroma goes away.
- In a bowl add a tbsp of rice flour dissolve in little water. Pour them in the spinach curry.
- Keerai masiyal goes well with hot steam rice and Ghee.