Jigarthanda is a cooling drink having it’s origin from Tamilnadu,India.’ jigar’ means heart and thanda means ‘ cold’ . It literally translates to cool heart .There are few ingredients required to prepare jigarthanda is badam pisin is also known as “tragacanth”.
I have used China grass and basil seeds instead of badam pisin in the recipe.
I have shared step by step method to prepare an easy jigarthanda drink.
Boil 1 litre of milk.let it be simmer to reduce the milk to 3/4th liter.
In a bowl add custard powder and cornflour.Dissolve the custard powder by adding little water.
Pour the custard powder syrup to the milk stir continuously.
Soak China grass in another vessel.
Cook the China grass on a low flame till it Dissolves completely.Add green colour.mix well .pour the China grass to a bowl.Allow it to cool.
Add sugar and condensed milk.
Add vanilla essence.Turn off the flame .Allow it to cool .Refrigerate the drink till it’s cool.
Grate the China grass and keep aside.
Serve the drink in a glass.Add grated China grass ,basil seeds/ sabja seeds and chopped almonds.serve cool.
- Milk 1 litre
- Sugar 2 tbsp
- Condensed milk 1/4 cup ( optional)
- China grass 1 packet
- Basil seeds / sabja seeds 2 tbsp
- Chopped almond 2 tbsp
- Custard powder 1tbsp
- Cornflour 1tbsp
- Green colour
- Boil milk.let it simmer to reduce the milk to 3/4 th litre.
- In a bowl add custard powder and cornflour Dissolves by adding little water.add them to the milk stir continuously.
- Add sugar,vanilla essence and condensed milk .Turn off the stove .Allow it to cool.
- Soak China grass in another vessel for 10 minutes.cook on a low flame till it Dissolves add green color.pour in a bowl.Allow it to cool.
- Grate the China grass and keep aside.
- Soak sabja seeds in a little water.
- Serve jigarthanda in a glass .Add china grass ,sabja seeds and chopped almonds.