Keerai kottu is a south indian comfort food. It’s easy and healthy accompaniment made with any greens and dal. For this recipe , you can use whatever the greens you like, here I have prepared this keerai kottu with manthakkali keerai it is commonly known as black night shade and it is good home remedy for mouth ulcers.
I have shared my recipes in step by step method to prepare an easy and quick recipe of of keerai.
Soak Moong dal for 20 minutes. Wash and drain the keerai with plenty of water. Add Moong dal and keerai in a microwave bowl add little water.
Keep In a microwave for 8_9 minutes till keerai and Moong dal cook.
In a kadai heat oil add mustard seeds and Urad dal.
As it begins to splutter add curry leaves and chopped onions saute till it changes transparent.
In a grinder add garlic cloves, coconut, redchillies, Cumin seeds and chopped tomatoes. Grind to a smooth paste.
Add the above paste to the onions stir well. Cook on a medium flame for few minutes until the raw aroma goes away.
Add Moong dal and spinach to it add a pinch of Turmeric powder and salt.
Keerai kottu is ready to serve with rice.
- Moong dal 1/4 cup
- Manthakkali keerai 2 cups
- Garlic cloves 8_10
- Whole Redchillies 3
- Tomatoes 1
- Onion 1
- Salt as needed
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
FOR TEMPERING :
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Curry leaves 6_7
- Urad dal 1 tbsp
- Soak Moong dal for 20 minutes.
- Wash and drain the keerai in a plenty of water.
- Add Moong dal and keerai to a microwave bowl with little water. Microwave for 8-9 minutes till keerai and Moong dal cooked.
- In a kadai heat oil add mustard seeds and Urad dal. When it begins to splutter add curry leaves and chopped onions saute till it changes transparent.
- In a grinder add Cumin seeds, sliced coconut, chopped tomatoes, garlic cloves and whole red chilli. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Add the paste to onions cook on a medium flame till the raw aroma goes away.
- Add Moong dal and keerai to the mixture. Stir well cook for another 5 minutes.
- Keerai Kottu goes well with plain steam rice.