I had got a recipe request for posting french fries. when i make french fries at home, I prepare French fries prior and store in freezer. There are another method of frying in a low temperature, cooling down the potatoes and fry again. A major chunk of my time cooking the potatoes, then cooling them, then frying them, cooling them and again frying them…. too much for me.
so i gave up the quest for the perfect french fries and even if my recipe comes closest to it, i will be more than happy & satisfied.
Step – by – step method to prepare a perfect French fries.
Select a long size potatoes with thin skin. Wash and rinse the potatoes
Peel the potatoes and wash again before cutting to remove excess dirt. Cut the potatoes in to three layers as shown in the picture.
Cut the potatoes vertically as shown in the picture.
In a deep bottom pan boil water add a teaspoon of salt. Add potatoes to it. Boil for few minutes until the potatoes are half cooked. And starch are removed.
Drain the potatoes In a colander keep a side till the excess water is drained. Transfer to a clean towel. Cover the potatoes in a towel keep a side for 15 minutes.
Once the potatoes are dry transfer to a zip pouch close the potatoes in an air tight seal pack. Put it in a freezer for whole night before frying. Take the packet out from the freezer only while frying. Make sure the oil is hot and the fries are ready to fry.
Heat oil in a kadai. Drop the frozen fries in a kadai gently.cover the lid to cook on high temperature.
Leave the potatoes cook on same hot temperature for at least 10 minutes. Then open the lid flip the fries fry them till it turns crisp.
Fry the potatoes till it turns crisp. Transfer them in to absorbent paper. Sprinkle with salt.
Serve the fries with a cup of tea. It’s a best tea time snack. Else serve in lunch with burgers.
- Long size potatoes 6
- Salt as needed
- Vegetable oil or canola oil (your choice)
- Wash and rinse potatoes peel them cut in to verticals.
- Boil the water in a deep pan add salt add potatoes stir gently.
- Drain them in a colander keep aside till the excess water drained.
- Transfer them to the clean towel leave for few minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes in an air tight packet put it in a freezer for whole night.
- Heat oil in a kadai cover the lid deep fry the potatoes till it turns crisp.
- Sprinkle with salt. Serve hot.