” Bhuna” means roasting. In earlier days there was no mixer or blender to blend spices and tomatoes to a smooth paste. So All the spices , onion , meat and tomatoes are cook on a high flame till the meat combines with all the spices.Chicken Bhuna Masala is so aromatic and spice combination is just perfect in this dish. Bhuna chicken is meant to be a dry curry and no additional water required because the meat cooks in its own juices. Bhuna chicken is so good .you can eat it with roti or basmati rice.You may just like it more than my authentic Butter chicken recipe.
I have shared a simple and quick chicken recipe with step by step method and a detailed pictures.
In a deep bottom pan heat ghee add chopped onions saute till it changes to golden brown add ginger garlic paste saute till the raw aroma goes away.
Add chopped tomatoes cook on a high flame till the tomatoes gets cooked and turns tender.
Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder stir well.
Add chicken cook until the oil separates from the pan.Add almond and cashew powder. Mix well.
Finally add thick yogurt, a pinch of sugar, chopped green chillies, garam masala powder cook for few more minutes until the excess liquid from the yogurt absorbs.
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.serve hot with rice or roti.
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1 chopped onions
- 1 chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 or 2 green chillies
- 1/4 cup of thick yogurt
- 2 tbsp of Ghee or oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- A pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsp of almond and cashew powder
- Wash the chicken. keep aside to drain excess water.
- In a deep bottom pan heat ghee add chopped onions saute till golden brown add ginger garlic paste saute till the raw aroma goes away.
- Add chopped tomatoes stir well.cook on a high flame till the tomatoes turns tender.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder add chicken stir continously till the oil separates from the pan.
- Add yogurt ,garam masala powder, a pinch of sugar ,green chillies cook for few more minutes till the chicken gets tender.
- No additional water required.The excess water in yogurt must be thickened for the dry curry . Garnish chicken Bhuna masala with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve with roti or rice.