Bitter Gourd Sabji – There was a time when I would flatly refuse to taste a bitter. But once I tried this recipe preparing with jaggery and tamarind pulp I found that bitter gourd has no bitter at all!.This is my one and only favorite bitter gourd recipe, so far.
I have shared an easy recipe to prepare bitter gourd Sabji in a step by step method with a detailed pictures below.
Wash and cut the bitter gourd. In a mixing bowl add bitter gourd, turmeric powder , salt . Marinate for 15_20 minutes.
In a kadai or wok heat oil add sliced onions saute till it becomes transculent. Now add red chilli powder, cumin powder and a pinch of turmeric powder. Saute for 5 minutes.
Add bitter gourd. Cover the lid and cook until it gets tender. Now add yogurt.
Finally add jaggery and tamarind pulp saute for few minutes. Remove from heat.
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 medium size onions
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tsp tamarind pulp
- 1 tbsp thick yogurt
- Salt as needed
- 1/2 kg bitter gourd
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt as needed
- Wash the bitter gourd peel off the skin and cut in the shape of circle.
- In a mixing bowl add salt, turmeric powder and bitter gourd mix well. Marinate for 15_20 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a wok or kadai heat oil add onions saute till it changes transculent. Add red chilli powder, a pinch of turmeric powder, cumin powder. stir well.
- Now add bitter gourd mix well cover the lid and cook for few minutes until it gets tender.
- Add yogurt, tamarind pulp and jaggery cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Serve hot.
Health Benefits Of Bitter Gourd
- Bitter Gourd are good for headaches. Helpful in case of vomitting.
- Bitter Gourd purifies Blood, treats jaundice and skin disorder.
- Fresh juice of bitter gourd is beneficial for people suffering from piles.
- It helps in menstural disorders.
- Bitter Gourd are good for Diabetes.