The Nombu Kanji is a nutritious gruel made of raw rice and dal, cooked to a smooth porridge consistency and seasoned with spices, the kanji’s flavours are much a like a soup.It goes well with wada.Actually khanji are prepared in different method like meat(chicken / mutton) but I preferred to make my niece recipe. That is a mince version of the nombu khanji.
I have shared an easy and quick khanji recipe below .
In a pressure cooker heat oil add cardamom and chopped onions saute till it changes to transculent.
Add Ginger garlic paste , saltsaute till the raw aroma goes away.Add mince stir well.pour little water and cover the lid .cook until the mince changes to soft and tender.
Add red chilli powder and turmeric powder stir well.
Roughly grind rice and lentils add to the mince,add green chillies,coriander leaves and mint leaves and chopped tomatoes cook again in 2 whistles.
Rice mine soup/ khanji are served hot.
- Rice 1/2 cup
- Moong dal 1/4 cup
- Salt as needed
- Onions 2
- Tomato 1
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Mince1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves
- Mint leaves
- Green chillies 2_ 3
- Roughly grind rice and moong dal / lentils together in half rice and half lentils quantity.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil add cardamom,onions saute till it changes to transculent.
- Add Ginger garlic paste ,salt and mince together saute till the raw aroma goes away add water cover the pressure cooker .cook the mince in 3_4 whistles.
- When the pressure drops add red chilli powder,turmeric powder,rice and lentils ,green chillies, mint leaves and coriander leaves cook again in 2 whistles.
- Serve the khanji with fresh mint and coriander leaves.It goes well with the wada.