Nankatai is basically popular as shortbreads cookies. It’s an eggless cookies prepared from all purpose flour, ghee and sugar. Nankatai considered as a fusion of two words, naan means bread in Persian language and katai means biscuits in Afgan. It is typially enjoyed eating with tea as evening snacks.
I have shared a step by step method to prepare an easy nankatai recipe with a detailed pictures below.
In a bowl add powdered sugar and ghee.
Whisk well till it’s smooth and fluffy. Add maida.
Further add semolina/ Bombay rava.
Add baking powder.Baking powder gives soft texture to cookies.
Knead the dough and combine with your hands.
Grease with milk and butter to get a nice colour.
Pre heat oven for 5 minutes. Bake in a oven in 180 degree for 15 minutes.
Remove the tray and allow it to cool completely. Biscuits might be soft when its hot. It turns crunchy when cooled completely.
- 1 1/2 cup maida / all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 cup icing sugar( powdered sugar)
- 1 tbsp semolina/ Bombay rava
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp milk( Grease)
- In a bowl add icing sugar, ghee and oil whisk well till it turns soft and fluffy.
- Sieve maida, baking powder add all the dry ingredients.
- Semolina gives crunchy taste and baking powder gives soft texture to cookies.
- Add a pinch of salt. Knead the dough.
- Divide the dough in to small balls press in the centre.
- Place the cookies in a baking tray apply milk or egg yolk for a nice colour.
- Pre heat oven for 5 minutes.
- Bake the cookies at 180 degree Celsius for 15 minutes or bake till it’s golden brown.
- Remove the tray and allow it to cool.Biscuits might be soft when its hot. It turns crunchy when cooled completely.
- Store it in an air tight container.
- Instead of ghee you can use butter at room temperature.
- Additionally top with nuts like almond,raisins and pistachio of your choice.
- Grease egg yolks instead of milk to get a nice golden brown colour.