Junglee-maas-mutton-curry is a Rajasthani royal recipe that produces tender chunks of lamb or goat meat that features juicy chunks of mutton coated in pungent desi spices including the strong likes of red chilli, cardamom, pepper and more. Jungli mutton gravy is fairly easy to cook as well.
I have shared my recipes in step by step method with detailed pictures below.
In a sauce pan add cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, garlic cloves, whole pepper, red chillies, Cumin seeds . Add little water. Boil all the spices till the texture changes soft and tender.
Strain the spices. I have added Almond in this recipe to lessen the spicy. Yet it’s optional.
Add all the spices in a grinder add coriander powder.grind to a smooth paste.
In a pan heat oil add onions saute till golden brown add the spices paste to it. Lower the flame. Stir well.
FOR MARINATE :
In a bowl add salt, olive oil and lemon juice.
Add Redchilli powder and Turmeric powder.
Add mutton. Mix well. Marinate for 30 minutes.
Add the Marinated mutton to the spices.
Add the strain water to the gravy and cook till the mutton are soft and tender.
Junglee-maas-mutton-curry is ready to serve with rice or paratha.
- Mutton 1/2 kg
- Onion slices 1 no.
FOR GRINDING :
- Cinnamon sticks 2_3 sticks
- Cardamom 3
- Garlic cloves 8_10
- Pepper seeds 10_12
- Redchilli 3_4
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Bay leaf 2_3
- Almonds 4_5
- Coriander powder 1 tbsp
FOR MARINATE :
- Redchilli powder 1 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Olive oil / mustard oil 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- In a saucepan add all the above spices pour little water. Bring it to boil till the spices changes soft and tender.
- Strain the spices. Keep the remaining water will use it in the gravy.
- Grind the spices to a smooth paste.
- In a pan heat oil add onions saute till golden brown add the spices paste to it stir well. Cook on a low flame.
- In a bowl Marinate mutton add salt, red chilli powder, Turmeric powder, olive oil and lemon juice. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Add the Marinated mutton to the gravy add the remaining spice water to the gravy. Cook the mutton till it changes soft and tender.
- Check the consistency of the gravy. The gravy must be thickened wrapped all the spices with the meat.
- Junglee-maas-mutton-curry goes well with rice, roti and Indian bread.